06 July 2010

In the Shadow of God

Bezalel didn't make it into the top 10 baby names for 2010, not even the top 100....I don't even think it'll make it into the top 10 in Israel, and it's a Hebrew name. 

I've been doing a Beth Moore study this summer with the women at church.  It's the updated version of "A Woman's Heart," a study of the tabernacle.  I was struck this week in my homework about a man named Bezalel.  God appointed him as a craftsman of the tabernacle.  In Exodus 31, God is telling Moses who he has appointed to construct the temple: "See, I have called by name Bezalel, the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah.  I have filled him with the Spirit of God in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge, and in all kinds of craftsmanship."  Bezalel was one of the elite few from the Old Testament who were filled with the Holy Spirit.  What an honor!  Yet, he is hardly mentioned after that.  His name means "in the shadow of God."  I looked it up in baby names and the definition went on to say, "implies protection of the Almighty." 

"In the shadow of God" also implies to me that Bezalel was not in it for the fame and the glory.  If he was, then he was probably disappointed.  He was filled with the Spirit in order to carry out his job and he did so under the shadow of the glorious Almighty God.  My flesh seeks recognition and honor, yet my heart's desire is that the Lord be glorified in everything I do.  I really do want to be so hidden in the shadow of the Most High God, that only He is seen.

That is my desire for Africa.  May the name Bezalel be a theme, a daily reminder, that I am not working for myself but for the Lord.  May it also be a reminder that He is my hiding place and my refuge.

No comments:

Post a Comment